Monday, March 15, 2010

Site of the Week - Fiction Writers' Mentor

Ooops! Last week got away from me and I didn't post my Site of the Week. So, to make up for it, I will be posting two sites this week. I've decided to do something a bit different here and post a site I do NOT recommend. There are a lot of helpful websites for writers - but there is an equal (ok, probably larger) number that fall short.

After finding Fiction Writers' Mentor which promises advice on fiction writing I went to check it out. The author who runs the site is published (three novels) and I do believe that the information contained on the site is meant to be helpful. However, on two of the three pages I scanned I found spelling and grammar errors. (If you are planning to give advice on creative writing - be sure to double-check your text before publishing.)

But the clincher for me was that the author used the first line of their novel as an example for establishing a sense of place. It was thirty-seven words long, included four -ly pronouns and two hyphenated words. Wow! That's a bit much for me in a first line.

I chose not to provide a link to this site. If you really want to give it a browse, Google it. ;-)

No comments:


Embrace nature's beauty. It feeds the soul.