Once again, the week has flown by. My day planner is a mass of scribbles and moved deadlines for my study goals. Nothing that I wanted to do got done. However, I did begin a new short story tentatively titled "In Darkness." While it's still in the rough draft stage, I'll post the first section here after I wow and excite you with this week's site - NPR.
NPR? You mean National Public Radio? Yup. It's no secret that NPR promotes the works of artists and authors of all types. However, I found a page on their site that goes beyond asking the author about their current endeavor. This page features several very well-known writers (think Jodi Picoult and Scott Turow) and asks them how they write, come up with ideas, edit and overcome the nemisis of every writer - professional or otherwise - writer's block. *shudder*
While the interviews were done in 2006, the insights and advice these seasoned writers provide are timeless. After reading Walter Dean Myers' interview I was inspired to try something new. He creates timelines for his characters and the world around them before beginning his books. (He spends up to 6 months "pre-writing.")
I am working on an historical fiction novel and time frame is very important. I think creating a timeline for the era, as well as my characters and how they fit into the Roman world, will help me immensely! Currently, I'm keeping it all in my head - which can get a bit complicated, especially since I am planning to make this a family saga of sorts with successive books telling the stories of this main character's children and perhaps her husband's childhood as well.
So, after browsing the interviews, what inspired you?
No comments:
Post a Comment