Well, I've been busy, busy with my writing. Trying to come to grips with a highly emotional scene for my historical fiction novel - which I'm finally making progress on - woo hoo! And I also recently wrote a short story for an online magazine. Got the rejection letter today. Bummer. But I'm not too bothered by it. It was more an experiement in trying new subject matter and creating something specifically for a publication than anything.
I'm also working on another short story for a contest which ends on the 15th. It's a challenge, but a fun one.
Over the past year I have become too comfortable working away at my laptop - safe and secure from the actuality of the writing world. I've decided it's time to stop ignoring the writing opportunities that come up while I'm working on my novel and get back out there.
So, what about all of you? Have you found yourself falling into a rut? Or perhaps just keeping your writing to yourself out of habit or trepidation? If so, what are your plans to break out of your comfort zone?
Nothing in life worth having comes easily. Taking risks is what it's all about! Go for it!
3 comments:
That's something that's been on my mind quite a bit lately. I think the best way to break out of the comfort zone is quite simply to DO something, to take that risk.
The problem is that it's easy to talk yourself out of it and maintain a "never try, never fail" kind of attitude.
I'm in a rut because I'm supposed to be revising but I can't seem to get into it at all.
Jai
It is easier to sit back and not take the risk - but you have to decide what is more important. You're dream, or safety. ;-)
Ah, the revising rut. I know it well. :-) I hope you get out of it soon, Jai.
Post a Comment