Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Updated Upcoming Fiction Releases Page

I've just finished updating my Upcoming Fiction Releases page. It's a big release date next Tuesday with some other great hardcover and paperback books hitting bookstore shelves on the 20th and 24th.

Here's a sample of what's going to be available for your reading pleasure. . .

Hardcover:
While Mortals Sleep - Kurt Vonnegut
Tick Tock - James Patterson
Restless Heart - Wynonna Judd (yeah, that Wynonna)

Paperback:
Doomwyte - Brian Jacques
Dragon Keeper - Robin Hobbs
Fire - Kristin Cashore

And while this one isn't fiction, I'm going to be taking a look at it to see if I want to add it to my reading list - Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-girl Culture.  I have been increasingly disturbed by the focus on the princesses, etc. and worried over what it's telling little girls about themselves and how to envision their future. Looks like I'm not the only one.

Just click the Upcoming Fiction Releases link at the top of the page to view the full list.

4 comments:

Jai Joshi said...

Thanks for this new release info. I think I'll give Wynonna Judd a miss, though.

Jai

Looneywriter said...

Aw, c'mon, Jai. Wynonna Judd as a fiction writer - it's like a train wreck. ;-P

Glad you found the list helpful.

Jaleh D said...

Even though I don't have a daughter, I may have to look at that culture book. I've noticed how much princesses are being hyped these days, kind of like how it used to be all about Barbie.

Now I like princess stories, but my favorite ones have princesses who go out and do things, like Princess Cimorene (Enchanted Forest Chronicles), Princess Amy (The Ordinary Princess), and Lady Vevila (Never After).

Looneywriter said...

I'm with you there, Jaleh. I don't dislike the idea of a princess story, however, training young girls to be nothing more than a "princess" looking for her prince charming to take care of her, disturbs me. :-O Give them some more substance than that. I've heard too many little girls answer the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" with "A princess."


Embrace nature's beauty. It feeds the soul.