Thursday, July 1, 2010

Site(s) of the Week(s) - Elizabeth Crook, Vonda N. McIntyre, and Robert J. Sawyer

Ooops. Last week got away from me too. :-o I just started my CASA training and the first few chapters were a bit more intense than I expected. But, I've got until the 20th to finish up the material. Then I'll be sworn in as an official CASA volunteer in juvenille court - which is super exciting for me! :-) And after that, I get appointed to my first case.

Anyway, I've decided to do three sites this week to make up for (more) lost time. The first is elizabethcrookbooks.com. I stumbled across an article of hers The Seven Rules For Writing Historical Fiction, which is included on her site under the articles tab. Her insights were eye-opening for me, since I am still struggling with my historical fiction novel. Her voice is engaging and she's published three novels to date. One of her suggestions (which embarrassingly I hadn't thought of) was to contact authors of the books you use for historical research and see if they will let you pick their brains.

Up next is, Vonda N. McIntyre's site. Her article on the Pitfalls of Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy is both informative and filled with humor. There are also some short stories available on the site to read free of charge. I found her style a bit heavy on description for my taste, but her storylines were entertaining.

And lastly, Robert J. Sawyer's blog. His article Are the days of the full-time novelist numbered? paints a grim picture of the future of full-time authors, but one well worth considering when pursuing the "dream."  Sawyer also has a very informative website www.sfwriter.com/ (which I may have highlighted already, I can't remember - oopsy.)

2 comments:

Jaleh D said...

Best of luck with the CASA training. I'm sure you will do great.

And those sites sound interesting. At some point, I'll get around to actually looking at them, but at least I know I just have to look through your "helpful websites" tag to find this post again.

Tahlia said...

Thanks for the links. It sounds like there's some helpful stuff there.

If you're on the look out for other blogs of interest you might like to check out mine. It's about the journey to publication of my YA fantasy novel, 'Lethal Inheritance’. Okay it's not a new theme, but you can read ch1 of it at
http://publishersearch.wordpress.com/lethal-inheritance/


Embrace nature's beauty. It feeds the soul.