Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The tediousness of market research.

I've just spent my entire afternoon searching for a market that will fit my novelette, Somewhere. Well, it's a novelette according to some markets and a novella according to others; which makes finding the right market all the more frustrating! ;-)

Anyway, after all of this tedious research, I only found five possible markets which are currently accepting submissions - and of those five, only two offer any form of payment.

Talk about discouraging. I'm wondering if I should either lengthen this or cut a bunch out (though I have no idea what I could cut without sacrificing the heart of the piece). 

However, I am going to make my final edits (yes, that means making my comma errors obsolete) over the next two days and begin submissions on Friday afternoon or Saturday when I get home from work.

I'll post any updates - good, bad or ugly. :-)

5 comments:

Gale Haut said...

I love anthologies. Could you publish in an anthology? Or maybe wait until you've written another novelette that's similar and combine them. That could be cool.

Brad said...

Ah, the glamorous life of a writer.
Fortune and glory, kids.
Fortune and glory.

Joe Sharp said...

I think there was room to both cut and expand Somewhere.

You're welcome. ;)

Kim Pierce said...

Well I would say submit to the two you found that offer payment, and if both of those fall through, then adjust. I mean, you never know, there may be only two markets, but one of them may accept your work!

Looneywriter said...

Kim, I'm planning to submit to one of the markets that pays. :-) They are an epublisher, so I've checked out the other stories that they've accepted into the "serial" section. (I think Somewhere is better, but I may be biased.) LOL!

Thanks, Joe. You are so very helpful. ;-)

You forgot the fame, Brad. I just can't handle all of this fame. It's too heavy, want some? ;-P

Good suggestion, T. If the first two don't work out I'm considering the anthology route. Only problem is that I haven't found anywhere that is accepting stories of this type for an anthology.

But writing another story along those lines is very possible. Very possible...


Embrace nature's beauty. It feeds the soul.